This recipe was sent to us by Cooky Oberg. When we read through it, we knew we had to pass it along to our readers.
“The German Johnson and Better Boys were both red, the Black Krim and Purple Cherokee are both purplish, the Sun Gold is bright orange/yellow, the mozzarella is pure white, the Italian beans are ivory white, and the herbs are green. Really beautiful to look at, and the flavor can?t be beat… I got all the herbs and most of the tomatoes plants at [the] Arbor Gate!” – Cooky Oberg
- 1 German Johnson tomato, cut up
- 1 Black Krim or Purple Cherokee tomato, cut up
- 1 Better Boy tomato, cut up
- A few Sun Gold tomatoes, cut in half
- About 12 small mozzarella fresh cheese balls, cut in fourths
- About 6 or 7 fresh-picked small white Italian beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Fresh Italian basil (Genovese)
- A little fresh Blue African basil
- A few sprigs of fresh oregano/ marjoram
- A few springs lemon thyme
- Olive oil
- Dash of fresh Meyer lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Cut up tomatoes. Add cut up mozzarella balls, cut up Italian beans (which have a sweet flavor when young like this), rough chopped basil, oregano and thyme leaves off their stems.
Dress with olive oil (I use a light buttery California olive oil), just a dab of the lemon juice (maybe a teaspoon or two), and fresh ground salt and pepper.