In case you missed these great cookies at Henry Flower’s class this week, he was kind enough to share this tasty recipe!
Crisp Lemon Verbena Cookies
½ cup lemon verbena* leaves, packed and de-veined
2 cups sugar
2 cups unsalted butter
3 cups flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup chopped toasted pecans (recommended but optional)
4 cups corn flakes
– If using pecans, toast them first and allow to cool while preparing the cookie batter.
– Process leaves with sugar in food processor until very fine (do this with any other herb also, including unground lavender flowers).
– In separate bowl cream butter until fluffy and add sugar and beat for another minute.
– Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients to butter-sugar mixture just until well combined. Gently fold in pecans and corn flakes.
– Roll into 1″ balls and bake at 350˚ for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
* – can also substitute ¼ cup rose geranium leaves, 6 tsps. dried ground lavender flowers, 1/2 cup loosely packed cinnamon basil leaves, or any other desired herb or spice. 2 Tbsps. finely chopped rosemary is great too! Fresh or dried calendula petals make a nice, colorful addition (¼ cup dried, more if fresh) – add along with nuts and corn flakes at the end. Feel free to experiment and try other herbs if you wish.