Crisp Lemon Verbena CookiesPosted on : October 11, 2012
In case you missed these great cookies at Henry Flower’s class this week, he was kind enough to share this tasty recipe!
Crisp Lemon Verbena Cookies
½ cup lemon verbena* leaves, packed and de-veined
2 cups sugar
2 cups unsalted butter
3 cups flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup chopped toasted pecans (recommended but optional)
4 cups corn flakes
– If using pecans, toast them first and allow to cool while preparing the cookie batter.
– Process leaves with sugar in food processor until very fine (do this with any other herb also, including unground lavender flowers).
– In separate bowl cream butter until fluffy and add sugar and beat for another minute.
– Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients to butter-sugar mixture just until well combined. Gently fold in pecans and corn flakes.
– Roll into 1″ balls and bake at 350˚ for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
* – can also substitute ¼ cup rose geranium leaves, 6 tsps. dried ground lavender flowers, 1/2 cup loosely packed cinnamon basil leaves, or any other desired herb or spice. 2 Tbsps. finely chopped rosemary is great too! Fresh or dried calendula petals make a nice, colorful addition (¼ cup dried, more if fresh) – add along with nuts and corn flakes at the end. Feel free to experiment and try other herbs if you wish.
Written by The Arbor Gate
The Arbor Gate staff enjoys contributing to the blog along with our talented writers. As much as we enjoy contributing to this blog, we are the first to admit that we’re much better with a shovel than a keyboard!